While you can get a lot of great tips and tricks out of a book or in-person course, it’s often hard to do that. A book is pretty static, with a limited number of pictures you can use to guide you, and an in-person course can be expensive, inconvenient, and STILL not give you what you’re looking for.
I recommend searching for reputable, solid drawing courses online. It can be convenient, cost-efficient, and pretty effective. And good drawing skills are an essential foundation for good painting if you’re interested in going that route. There are quite a lot of them out there. Some guidelines for choosing good online drawing instruction as opposed to fluff:
- Make sure their explanation of the contents of their course is clear and detailed. Make sure you really understand what each lesson or module is providing.
- Make sure the price is reasonable for your budget. A site that offers a range of pricing options can be a great find.
- Make sure there is a continuing logic through the course. Whether the artist is offering three lessons or fifteen, make sure there’s a cohesion in the entire program. You will improve your drawing skills best if each lesson builds on the previous one. In these cases, it’s best to go in order through the lessons.
- If the site seems to be offering something for nothing, chances are, they ARE. The price should be comparable for the quality of instruction they’re promising. There should be a clear message that the lessons or program will not just draw something for you but will actually TEACH you how to do what the professional artist is doing. And if they’re offering you free instruction or instruction that only costs a few dollars, chances are very good you won’t get a lot out of it and you’ll be back to hopping around the Internet looking for good instruction.
- Look for proof of the artist’s skill, either by seeing images of their work on their site or seeing before and after pictures from their students.
Be smart about looking for good drawing instruction on the Internet, and you WILL find it. This is why I created Drawing Secrets Revealed. I knew there had to be loads of people who needed quality instruction, so I formulated this college-level, 12-lesson video instruction course that uses video demonstration and PDF downloadable practice materials to teach you to draw. It teaches you the foundational concepts necessary to really SEE like an artist so you can truly draw anything you see (with a lot of practice, of course!). You can even buy the lessons separately, although I recommend going through all of them. The program has a variety of pricing options for any budget and my students have said really positive things about my teaching style. You can also see my paintings and drawings on my artist’s site, http://sarahparksartist.com, where you can see I put my money where my mouth is in my own work.
Whether you go with Drawing Secrets Revealed or some other instruction, I just hope you find something that’s a good fit for YOU. We always need good artists in this world. So good luck and happy drawing!
Click HERE to find out how you can draw anything you see in just weeks with my college-level drawing course.